Saturday, June 03, 2006


Stadium Arcadium
So a quick review of the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album, Stadium Arcadium. First off, I'm a big RHCP fan, so I might be a little biased because I like almost anything they do.
The new album has 28 tracks, so $12 was actually a great deal. I went out and got it the day of release at Best Buy. While not all the tracks are amazing, there aren't any that make me reach for the next button. Dani California, the hit single, is obviously a solid way to start off the first disk, JUPITER. (I'm not quite sure why it's all caps on the CD : ) And then from there I have grown to love Snow ((Hey OH)). It's a great song, relaxing but at the same time not boring, and it has a great melody. It's one of those songs that doesn't get stuck in your head right away, but you find yourself humming it hours later in the day. Then Charlie keeps up the pace, with a different style but equally catchy. The refrain of "So much more than Charlie's waking me/To my call and Charlie's shaking me/Tell my story Charlie's making me/An Charlie's making me smile" really stands out and reminds me of past RHCP albums. Some other personal favorites off of JUPITER: Slow Cheetah (it builds into a song that's way better than you first expect), Especially in Michigan (which I initially disliked but have now come to fully appreciate, it might be my favorite overall at the moment), and C'mon Girl, (overall an awesome song. The tempo rises and falls at exactly the right moments, and Anthony Kiedis and Flea really shine here.)

The second CD, Mars, also has many quality songs, but I think I grew to like JUPITER a little better over time. You can listen to 21st Century over and over again, it just never gets old. She Looks to Me is also a similarly clutch track. And while Storm in A Teacup was my immediate favorite after listening to the CD for the first time, Made You Feel Better might actually be up there with Michigan for best overall. The whole song takes on this great flow, and the guitars cut in and out at just the right moments. Kiedis' vocals tie it all together, and Chad Smith's drumming keeps it nice and loose.

Overall a really cool album, a great addition to any collection, especially at the price. ($12 at Best Buy.)

4 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Kevyrr83 said...

Good review! But I also like the song Animal bar, and I don't think that was inclded in your discusion. I got it on iTunes, for more money but I also got the rights to concert tix. So I'm satisfied, and like you said, all the songs are good, and soem of them great. By the way, a impressive update of your AFD post!

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous mreidy00 said...

hey, this is a pretty good review. I think you go a bit overboard some places, but its definatly a great album. I agree that the first two tracks are great, are charlie is probably the best funk on the disks. thats exactly why i like the album so much, the funk that runs through it is just fantastic, from hump de bump to storm in a teacup, its good stuff. i also especially like "she's only 18" with that nice wah-wah verse and pretty good solo, a song which you left off and i think deserves some credit. most of the songs are really quality, and I think you did a good job reviewing it.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger stokes said...

yes mrreidy i agree shes only 18 is a great song, i can't belive i forgot it. I'lll up date at some point and add it. thx for commenting ;)

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous lachiller said...

did you know the french call RHCP "les Red Hot"? funny how theyh ave everything backwards thise idiots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home